Map of Finland
If you require a visa, please apply in plenty of time.
Letter of Invitation
If you require a letter of invitation, then please contact the HUGO Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visa letters will not be issued to any delegate who has not completed their registration and paid in full.
You should check your local Finnish Embassy or Consulate to ascertain whether you require a visa for entry into Finland. The Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site contains a list of Finnish Missions and details of visa requirements.
In general, if you hold a European Union passport you will not require a visa for entry to Finland.
Vantaa Airport Taxi to Helsinki costs approximately 30 Euro depending on the number of passengers in the group. Journey time 30 minutes. Full details of travel by bus etc. can be found on the airport web sites:
Helsinki Public Transport Information
- Dialling Codes: Finland: +358 - Helsinki Area Code: 9
- Mobile/Cell 'Phones: 900/1800 band (as most of world except N. America and Japan)
- Electricity: 230V 50Hz using round pin or Schuko type plugs
- Local Currency: Euro - there are 100 cents in a Euro.
- Bank Notes: This is what Euro Bank Notes look like.
- Exchange Rate: Check the Exchange Rate
- Local Time: Check the Local Time in Helsinki. In May/June, Helsinki is 3 hours ahead of GMT/UTC, 2 hours ahead of London (British Summer Time)
- Weather: Current Weather in Helsinki can be checked here, along with regional weather for Finland and Scandinavia. The average high temperature for Helsinki in June is 19°C (66°F) and the average low is 9°C (49°F).
Details of HGM2006 hotels and tours can be found on the Travel Experience web site:
Please check the Accommodation page for other information regarding hotels, tours, and bookings.
The "Farewell to Finland" Dinner Cruise is highly recommended:
Enjoy Helsinki - Daughter of the Baltic - from the sea on-board a private water bus. There are over 300 islands off the Helsinki coast and most historical sights can be seen from the sea as well including Helsinki Cathedral and Suomenlinna fortress island. The tour begins from the Congress centre, and ends at the market square in Helsinki city centre. During your cruise, dinner and 2 glasses of wine are included.
Updated Thu 11 May 2006 12:17:59 BST